Wednesday, August 05, 2009

It's oh so QUIET

I reach into my pocket for a dirty piece of crumpled tissue paper I'd been recycling over and over till it was drenched and limp. I think I'm slightly allergic to these couches.

We're lying belly down on opposite sides of two parallel couches in a rather small but sunny meeting room trying to think of a new way to shoot an old commercial.

My nose feels a bit numb.

I draw my bright yellow Nerf gun and squint through one eye, down the plastic sights, at the small black sheep laminated on the glass door. There's a sharp sound of the bullet's suction cap sticking to the door. Doug takes a shot and we slowly get through about 60 rounds of nerf ammunition.

At 6pm I'm out the door on my red hybrid bicycle. It rattles across a grassy field towards the river where a couple of soccer players have just started warming up.

I coast down past Zouk (a popular night club) where the staff have just started setting up.

I watch the sun setting at a traffic junction and free wheel down the slope that leads to my house, where I'll take a shower and try and figure out what to do with the rest of my night.

the next day I'm having a highclass ramen (that only serves the facial parts of the pig) in a shopping center staring out at the river watching tour boats pass. I'm chatting on MSN and then shadow box in a small meeting room before handing in a small pile of scripts I'd done earlier in the day.

At 4pm I'm looking up scuba lessons. then later that evening, I'm having a nightmare about my ex-boss not forgiving me for leaving my old work place. Then I'm waking up at 9 to cycle to the office to shower and wait for my toast to toast. 'The coolest thing...' as I'd told my creative director here 'was that I had this giant bag of coins that I used to save up for the vending machine at Ogilvy to buy diet cola. I'd brought it here only to realize that Diet cola and Breakfast are free .' - that was probably not the best thing though I did feel that it'd be better to try and mention one of the more surprising 'best things'.

The other 'best thing' of course was having a life. And as my bike bumped along the grassy field yet again towards a cold pint of beer in a watherfront Japanese inspired sports bar, I wondered just how much more of this I'd have to bear with before I'd finally accepted that this is how things will be from now on. till it fades and 7pm comes and life in general feels like a chore.

I crumple up another sheet of random ideas and drawings and scrape a pile of eraser dust into the bin and think about the part of me that misses the war.

No comments: