Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rise Above

I bought a (piano) keyboard the other day.

I just walked into the apple shop on my way to meeting lin at the taxi stand, stared at it, enquired, and then proceeded to purchase it. It was for my dad I rationalized to Lin as we lugged it down the escalator. I set it up that night and played chopsticks after everyone had fallen asleep.

I just didn't realize just how hard it'd be to train my hands.

It took me 74 tries before I managed to record somehting that bore any resemblance to the tune I head in mind.

I 'ran' 21km last sunday. I'd put together a playlist that ran out a quarter way through and then when the music stopped, I'd broken down for a short while. There were some spectacular moments about running in an organised half marathon at 5am. My fondest was running across a highway 50 meters in the air. And when the sun came up as we were runnign out of town, I felt like one of the marines at the end of Black Hawk Down, or maybe the camera guy in City of God (only I wasn't really running). I was listening to the dirty projectors when I finished my last K. They stopped playing just 20 meters before the finish line.

I remember thinking for that split second as I pulled out my earphones and listened to Eminem on the lout speakers (singing that 8-mile song) that I could do anything. I could walk into that Muaythai gym that just opened below the office and go 50 lessons and become a contender, that I could fall into the ocean and uncover a japanese zero wrecked on the ocean floor. That I could walk into the client meeting and wow. That this could all be a part of my great new life. That I could buy a 200 dollar keyboard I didnt know how to use and then play it.

I stop and listen to my recording of chopsticks.

and I might be wrong.


No comments: