Saturday, January 03, 2015

I was scared of dentists and the dark

It feels like a life time ago since I was bored.

Not exhausted, not sad or contemplative or lonely or what's nexting.

Just plain stare at the ceiling fan, listen to the rain bored.

I'm lying in my childhood bed room in Singapore. The sky outside is gray and swollen with humidity.

This is the other part of the tropical island life I'd forgotten about. The slow inhibiting threat of rainy days in the monsoon months. The construction site cross from my bedroom has become metronomic background drone as different tools pitch in and out.

There are things I should be doing. Like checking my email or installing the new Far Cry on my PS4 or calling up friends and ex colleagues but there's no energy for that right this moment.

There's just the heaviness of my heavy face, eyelids and this mattress that seems to be rising in temperature with every minute. I feel the weight of the past year sitting on me.

I feel the absence of New York City.

The year has been a pretty violent romance with the city everybody loves.

My brain aches trying to explain get the details of the affair in perspective. When friends ask how life there has been I always start by saying 'great' and then add a word like 'frantic' or 'intense' a few seconds after.

This year has been frantic, fraught, turbulent, acute, arresting - all those dramatic words people use to describe a the moments before a cliffhanger.

But here I am - a little moist from the humidity and calmed by the idea of being boring for a little longer as the world spins slower and the year winds down for it's mid-season finale.


No comments: